ADLWANG has been a pilgrimage site since the end of the 17th century. Its church is dedicated to “Our Lady of Sorrows”.
Pilgrimages undertook somewhat of a revival because Adlwang was spared from the plague in 1679/89 and it was not just only that, but like something out of a book of miracles many prayers were answered and the sick healed.
The parish of Adlwang has large numbers of visitors in the Marian month of May and during the "Golden Saturday Nights " (= 3 Saturdays and 3 Sundays after Michaelmas on the 29 September) in October every year when the annual village fair takes place.
Until 1784, the mother church of Pfarrkirchen was in Bad Hall.
The parish of Adlwang used to belong to the parishes of Waldneukirchen and Nußbach respectively. They are much older than the parish of Adlwang, which was first founded in 1893 by the priest P. Lambert Gruppenberger.
The name Adlwang unmistakably carries the name of the Duke Odilo of Bavaria (born between 715-748), and father of Duke Tassilo.
It has been proven that Adlwang dates back to an aristocratic seat from the 12th century.