Adlwang has been a place of pilgrimage since the end of the 17th century - the church is dedicated to the "Seven Sorrows of Mary".
The pilgrimage was given a special boost by the fact that Adlwang was spared from the plague in 1679/89, and not only that: As can be read in the Book of Miracles, many prayers were answered and the sick healed.
A Marian chapel was mentioned in a document around 1330. Already in 1431 the choir and the tower were built and at the end of the 15th century the church was extended - rebuilt in 1589. In the first half of the 17th century the nave was rebuilt. The elongated three-bay choir with a 3/6 end has a net ribbed vault with three-parallel ribs on services and tracery windows. The north portal is late Gothic, as is the vestry door, which is framed in late Gothic.