Tassilo Spring Temple
In the forecourt of this temple-like house the famous Tassilo spring still flows even today and its medicinal waters are directed to the Health Centre (“Gesundheitszentrum”). They are the iodine saline springs of the highest quality in Central Europe.
These springs in their neoclassical “home” were already used in ancient times and have been known as a source of salt since the Illyrian times. They were given to Kremsmünster Abbey along with 3 salters as a present by Bavarian Duke Tassilo III in 777. The water was also used for salt production, for the treatment of scabies, and to bake canker bread. Matthias Steppich and Alois Urlaub started using it for spa treatments in 1827. In 1841, a Viennese merchant donated the “spring temple” in gratitude for the healing of her daughter who had suffered from a lingering illness for many years. Coins from the Roman times were also found here (Emperor Antonius Pius, 138-161).
The Tassilo Spring Temple can be visited at any time without advance notification.